Removal of a polyp in the rectum
Polyps can cause a lot of trouble. From the most innocuous, such as discomfort, to serious health problems, such as cancer. Therefore, the removal of polyps in the rectum is a necessary measure.
Types of polyps:
- Adenomatous . More than half of all polyps that are found in the colon are of this type. And few of them later become malignant. But almost all malignant ones are adenomatous polyps.
- serrated adenomas. Much depends on the size of such a polyp and its location in the colon. Serrated adenomas are more common in the right colon. In the left departments and a rectum it is a rarity. Such polyps are difficult to detect even during a colonoscopy.
- Inflammatory polyps. The appearance of such polyps is provoked by ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease of the colon. The risk of occurrence is maximum during exacerbations of these ailments or at the first signs of the disease. These polyps are not dangerous in and of themselves, but long-term chronic inflammation during illness increases the likelihood of developing cancer.
Symptoms of polyps in the rectum
I would like to note that the manifestation of these symptoms most often indicates the presence of large polyps or their accumulation, so you need to urgently go to the doctor if you have any of the symptoms described below.
• Bleeding from the rectum. Such a symptom may indicate not only the presence of polyps in the rectum, but also be a sign of cancer or other ailments (hemorrhoids, anal fissure).
• Change in stool color. There is scarlet or cherry blood in the stool, sometimes with clots. But it is worth remembering that a change in the color of the stool can be caused by certain foods (beets, hibiscus, blackcurrant) or certain medications.
• Discomfort in the anus. The presence of a large polyp can create the sensation of a foreign object.
• Frequent and prolonged constipation and diarrhea. Such a reaction of the body may indicate the presence of a large polyp.
• Pain, nausea or vomiting. This happens if a large polyp blocks the intestinal lumen.
• Iron-deficiency anemia. There is a slow and long bleeding from polyps, while the blood in the feces is not visible. This bleeding leads to iron loss. The result is iron deficiency anemia. If some symptoms are present, a colonoscopy is urgently indicated.
Removal of a polyp in the rectum is a private issue of therapeutic colonoscopy
You can observe small foci of hyperplasia up to 2-4 mm, or obvious hyperplastic polyps. It is imperative to remove polyps in the rectum to prevent their growth and degeneration. This can also be done during a diagnostic study, colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy . If the endoscopist is experienced, then colonoscopy is combined with the removal of polyps in the rectum and not only if such are found. This decision is up to the doctor. If the doctor detects small neoplasms up to 4-5 mm, then the removal occurs with biopsy forceps – cups in which the polyp is completely placed. Elimination of polyps up to 1 cm or flat neoplasms occurs with a cold wire – a loop. After such procedures, capillary bleeding most often appears, which can stop on its own or is eliminated by a doctor. If the patient is prepared in advance for a planned operation to remove polyps, then “hot” methods can be used: coagulation forceps or a diathermy loop with high-frequency current applied to it. These methods are more likely to have complications. But a preliminary biopsy of large lesions can determine the severity of the situation, which will affect the choice of method for eliminating the neoplasm.
All rectal polyps must be removed, this will significantly reduce the risk of developing rectal cancer. Colonoscopy should not be neglected. If such a diagnosis is carried out in a timely manner, then you can immediately get rid of small polyps and prevent their growth. Large and large polyps are always transferred to a separate operation, where the doctor chooses the method of removal. There are difficult cases. For example, a neoplasm in a hard-to-reach place. Removal of such polyps in the rectum is different.